Search &/or Print the WIOA Policy Manual
Table of Contents
Chapter 1) Administration and Governance
Chapter 2) The One-Stop (Job Center) Delivery System
Chapter 3) Program Funding and Grants Management
Chapter 4) Fiscal Management
- 4.1 Access, Retention and Custodial Requirement for Records
- 4.2 Standards for Financial Management System
- 4.3 Reporting Requirements
- 4.4 Cash Management and Invoicing Standards
- 4.5 Cost Categories and Allowable Activities
- 4.6 Program Income
- 4.7 Sub grantee Monitoring
- 4.8 Procurement Standards
- 4.9 Property Management Standards
- 4.10 Audit and Audit Resolutions
- 4.11 Debt and Debt Collection
- 4.12 General Principles Affecting Allow ability of Costs
- 4.13 Allocation of Joint Costs
- 4.14 Cost Allocation or Indirect Cost Rates
- 4.15 Leverage Funds
- 4.16 35% Training Expenditure Goal For Program Year Formula Allocations
- 4.17 Expenditure Requirements for the Youth Program
Chapter 5) Non-Discrimination/Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
Chapter 6) Complaints, Grievances, and Appeals
Chapter 7) Individual Training Accounts and Eligible Training Programs
Chapter 8) Adult and Dislocated Worker Programs
- 8.1 Introduction and Overview
- 8.2 Eligibility
- 8.3 Program Design
- 8.4 Career Services
- 8.5 Training Services
- 8.5.1 Eligibility
- 8.5.2 Credentials
- 8.5.3 Informed Choice
- 8.5.4 Coordination of Funds
- 8.5.5 Recovery of Costs
- 8.5.6 Expenditure Requirement
- 8.5.7 Career Pathways
- 8.5.8 Accelerated Licensure for Vets
- 8.5.9 Training vs. Individualized Career Service
- 8.5.10 Methods of Funding Training
- 8.5.11 Types of Training
- 8.6 Supportive Services
- 8.7 Program Exit
- 8.8 Follow-up Services
- 8.9 National Dislocated Worker Grants
Chapter 9) Rapid Response
Chapter 10) Youth Program
Chapter 11) Performance Accountability and Reporting
Chapter 12) File Documentation
3.5 Grant Closeout
Effective date: October 13, 2017
Recipients and subrecipients of DOL grant awards are responsible for developing a closeout process that will be
used to close out their sub-awards and contract agreements. In accordance with the requirements of
Uniform Guidance Section 200.343, this policy addresses the steps
DWD-DET will take in order to close out a grant agreement. The WIOA closeout period refers to the 60-day period after
a grant agreement has reached its term end date or its funding has been fully utilized.
The purpose of the financial reconciliation/closeout is to ensure allowable reportable costs and payments are equal.
To closeout out a grant effectively and to avoid cost overruns and deficits, DWD-DET has established the following
- A final expenditure report must be submitted in COMET within 60 calendar days of the grant end date.
- Unless authorized by DWD-DET, subrecipients must liquidate all accruals incurred under DWD-DET's
award(s) no later than 60 calendar days following the expiration of the grant term.
- A final invoice must be submitted to DWD-DET for any cash requests within 60 calendar days of the grant
- Program income earned shall be fully expended or remitted to DWD-DET.
- DWD-DET will review each grant during the WIOA closeout period or once funding has been fully utilized and determine:
- Total expenditures reported in COMET
- Percentage of Administrative funds spent in relation to Program funds where applicable
- Reporting and performance of memo line activities
- Total cash requested in STAR
- Purchase Order balances
- Any un-obligated funds
- DWD-DET Contract Manager will initiate closeout procedures with all subrecipients by sending a
closeout packet for review.
- Subrecipients must terminate all activities and reconcile all financial activity related to the
grant/award prior to closing the grant with DWD-DET.
- Boards must review the closeout packet and reconcile with their records
- If reconciliation ties out, the subrecipient must sign the grant closeout worksheet and return
it to DWD-DET Contract Manager within 5 business days of receiving the closeout packet.
- If a discrepancy is noted, the subrecipient must respond to DWD-DET within 10 business days
providing details and supporting documentation regarding the discrepancy.
- All refunds due to DWD-DET must be made before the closeout or submitted with the closeout packet
within the five (5) business days timeframe.
The closeout out packet will include:
- Grant Closeout Worksheet
- STAR Payment Confirmation Report
- STAR Purchase Order Balance Report
- COMET Expenditure Report
The closeout of an award does not affect the following:
- The right of DWD-DET to disallow costs and recover funds on the basis of a later audit or other review.
- The obligation of the grant recipient to return any funds due as a result of later refunds, corrections,
or other transactions.
- Record retention requirements.
DWD-DET will not be liable for any costs the subrecipient failed to pay before the closeout date.
Additionally, DWD-DET will not be liable for any late claims received by subrecipients. DWD-DET will
not have funds available for those claims.
The subrecipient shall ensure that all program/grant liabilities are paid before the closeout date.
No unpaid bill can be paid with the federal funds after closeout. Any such bills will have to be paid
by the subrecipient from other non-federal funds.