Contact Us

  • Trade Program Assistance:
    Fax: 608-327-6172
  • TAA: 888-258-9966

Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) and Trade Readjustment Allowance (TRA)

Reemployment Trade Adjustment Assistance (RTAA)

This benefit is a wage subsidy available to qualified individuals. Electing the RTAA option cancels out all future eligibility for TRA weekly payments.

Eligible Workers

Eligible Employment

Employment must be 32 or more hours per week. If you are in school, then employment must be 20 hours per week. Multiple jobs can be combined to meet the 32 or 20 hour requirement.

Reemployment cannot be at the same employment site with your TAA certified employer.

The projected annual wages at reemployment cannot exceed certain levels, depending on which TAA Law applies to your petition:

If annual wages exceed these amounts then you do not qualify for RTAA.

Allowed Subsidy Amount

The RTAA wage subsidy is 50% of the difference between your previous weekly wages and weekly wages at reemployment - not hourly wage rates. Overtime pay is excluded from the subsidy calculation.

The maximum allowed RTAA payment depends on which TAA Law applies to your petition:

Your maximum allowed RTAA payment is reduced if you received any TRA payments. Each TRA payment reduces the RTAA amount by about 1%. (For example, if your petition qualifies for $10,000 but you received 20 TRA payments while you were in school, then your maximum benefit is reduced by 20% ($2,000) down to approximately $8,000 maximum.)

Eligibility Periods and Deadlines

There is a 104-week period to qualify for and claim RTAA. Your “104-week clock” can start whether or not you are working.


You must provide documentation of your age such as a driver's license. You must provide documentation of your wages in the form of a paystub, or statement from the company showing pay rate and hours worked.

RTAA is Taxable Income

RTAA payments are reported to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as taxable income. We cannot withhold state or federal taxes from your RTAA payment. You need to put aside funds to cover any additional taxes that you may owe. One strategy is to reduce the number of exemptions with your employer, in order to make your tax deductions higher.

Email DWD DWD Photo Gallery DWD on Twitter DWD on Facebook DWD on YouTube DWD on LinkedIn DWD RSS Feed

A proud partner of the network