Skip main navigation

Outdated or Unsupported Browser Detected
DWD's website uses the latest technology. This makes our site faster and easier to use across all devices. Unfortunatley, your browser is out of date and is not supported. An update is not required, but it is strongly recommended to improve your browsing experience. To update Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge visit their website.

Identity Fraud

You may be a victim of identity fraud if you have reason to believe someone has used your personal information and Social Security number to fraudulently collect unemployment benefits.

Signs You May Be a Victim of Unemployment Identity Fraud

  • Unexpected mail from a government agency about an unemployment claim.
  • A 1099-G tax form reflecting unemployment benefits you weren't expecting.
  • While you are still employed, a notice from your employer about an unemployment claim.

Reporting Unemployment Identity Fraud

  • Visit the Report Fraud webpage to report unemployment fraud online, by phone or by mail.
  • If the fraud occurred in a state other than Wisconsin, report unemployment identity fraud to the state where it occurred. Find the state’s unemployment office on the U.S. Department of Labor (U.S. DOL) Identity Fraud website.
  • When you file your income taxes, ONLY include income you actually received.
  • Check your credit report for suspicious activity or unauthorized lines of credit opened.

Identity Fraud Resources

To assist identity fraud victims, the U.S. DOL worked closely with other federal agencies and state workforce agencies to consolidate necessary steps and resources. You can find more information at:

Additional information can be found in the Identity Fraud FAQs or in the following resources: