Skip main navigation

Outdated or Unsupported Browser Detected
DWD's website uses the latest technology. This makes our site faster and easier to use across all devices. Unfortunatley, your browser is out of date and is not supported. An update is not required, but it is strongly recommended to improve your browsing experience. To update Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge visit their website.

Need an Alternate Format?

If you have comments regarding any documents on DVR's website or need an alternate format, you may contact us via email at:

Or you can reach us by phone at: 800-442-3477 (Toll Free)

Internship/Temporary Work for Consumers

Internship/Temporary Work (I/TW) is defined as time-limited, paid work experience. This service is designed to provide information of day-to-day work requirements in a real job.

Why Participate in an I/TW?

There are many reasons to participate in an I/TW. An I/TW may assess job suitability, or may help you to:

  • Choose an appropriate employment goal;
  • Determine if you are ready for employment or need to address barriers before a permanent job can be obtained;
  • Assess your need for rehabilitation technology and/or job accommodations;
  • Build up stamina in a work environment;
  • Obtain a current work reference; or
  • Develop new skills.

I/TW Program Details

A DVR service provider will likely assist in setting up your I/TW site. The service provider will be your main point of contact with the site employer and DVR. The provider will monitor your progress and report to DVR.
Note: If you are under the age of 16, you are required to obtain a work permit before you can begin the I/TW.

The wage paid will be the prevailing and customary wage and benefit level paid by the employer, and not less than minimum wage. If you receive SSI or SSDI, report the I/TW and wages earned to your local Social Security office. Please note that you should also tell the local Social Security office that the I/TW is through Opportunities, Inc., as your wages will come through them.

The training you receive from the site employer will be the same as with any other employee. If you need job coaching, equipment, clothing, or accommodations to participate in the I/TW arrangement, please discuss your needs with your DVR staff.

The I/TW is temporary. There is no expectation that you will be hired permanently at the job, although you may be hired at the discretion of the employer. Your I/TW will have a specific start and end date, as well as a specific number of approved work hours. You will need to identify a mailing address to receive your wages via a payment card or sign up for direct deposit and get copies of identification documents needed for work. A list of acceptable documents is available on Page 2 of this document. Wages will be paid by an Employer of Record service through a debit card/direct deposit on a weekly basis. Your hours will be verified by the site employer, and you should keep track of your work time. Additional information will be provided regarding wage payment when a site is set up.

IT/W Employee Responsibilities

As an employee participating in an I/TW, you will be expected to:

  • Immediately notify the site employer if you have a medical emergency or illness.
  • Abide by workplace rules as specified in this agreement and any additional workplace rules as identified by the site employer.
  • Arrive on time and be ready to work.
  • Participate in work activity limited to the start/end date specified and the schedule included on this form.
  • Report I/TW earnings to any agency from which you receive economic assistance.
  • Understand that this is not a permanent position and can be terminated by any party at any time.
  • Provide five (5) days' written notice when possible to the site employer if you wish to terminate the IT/W agreement prior to the end date.
  • Report any concerns with the I/TW to the service provider and DVR staff as soon as they arise so that they may be properly addressed.

Note: If a schedule change is needed that will affect the total number of hours authorized, the I/TW service provider should notify DVR.

Identification Required for Employment

To participate in a DVR I/TW, you will need one document from List A or a document from Lists B and C.

List A: Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization

  1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  3. Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  4. Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  5. In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired, and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form
  6. A passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI

List B: Documents that Establish Identity

  1. Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  2. ID card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  3. School ID card with a photograph
  4. Voter's registration card
  5. U.S. military card or draft record
  6. Military dependent's ID card
  7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card
  8. Native American tribal document
  9. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority
    (For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above)
  10. School record or report card
  11. Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
  12. Day-care or nursery school record

List C: Documents that Establish Employment Authorization

  1. A Social Security account number card other than one that specifies on the face that the issuance of the card does not authorize employment in the United States
  2. Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
  3. Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
  4. Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  5. Native American tribal document
  6. U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  7. Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  8. Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security