Skip main navigation

Outdated or Unsupported Browser Detected
DWD's website uses the latest technology. This makes our site faster and easier to use across all devices. Unfortunatley, your browser is out of date and is not supported. An update is not required, but it is strongly recommended to improve your browsing experience. To update Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge visit their website.

Records Open to Employees


A past or present employee has the right to view and copy their personnel records at least two times each calendar year. Upon request, the employer then has seven (7) working days to provide the employee with an opportunity to inspect the documents. The employer may ask that an employee make these requests in writing.

Frequently Asked Questions

What types of records are considered personnel records?

The right to inspect "personnel documents" extends to documents which are used, or which have been used, to determine qualifications for employment, promotion, transfer, additional compensation, termination or other disciplinary action, and medical records.

Can the employer charge for copies?

If an employee wishes to have a copy of the records, the employer may charge a reasonable fee for providing such copies, which may not exceed the actual cost of reproduction.

What exceptions are there to the requirements of the Open Personnel Records Law?

The right of the employee to inspect (or have copies of) his or her personnel records does not apply to:

How can an employee act to correct inaccuracies in the personnel records?

If an employee disagrees with any information contained in the records, the employer and employee may agree to correct or remove the information. If agreement cannot be reached, the employee may submit a written statement explaining his or her position. The employer is required to attach this statement to the disputed item, and release it whenever that disputed item is released to a third party.

Can someone other than the employee view and inspect the records?

If an employee is involved in a current grievance against an employer, the employee may have his or her union representative, or any other designated person, inspect those records that may have a bearing on the resolution of the grievance.

For more information