Skip main navigation

Outdated or Unsupported Browser Detected
DWD's website uses the latest technology. This makes our site faster and easier to use across all devices. Unfortunatley, your browser is out of date and is not supported. An update is not required, but it is strongly recommended to improve your browsing experience. To update Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge visit their website.

Disability Discrimination in Higher Education


State law prohibits publicly funded universities, technical colleges, vocational schools, and other institutes offering training or continuing education from discriminating against you as a student or prospective student because of a physical impairment or developmental disability. In addition, if testing is required for admission, which you are unable to take because of a physical condition or developmental disability, a good-faith effort must be made to assist you in demonstrating aptitude.

The statute of limitations for filing a complaint is 300 days from the date the action was taken or you became aware the action was taken.

Exceptions under the law

Frequently Asked Questions:

What am I entitled to if my complaint is successful?

If you file a successful complaint with the Equal Rights Division, you may be entitled to be "made whole." Such a remedy aims to make you "whole" in the aftermath of discrimination and may include application costs, tuition, student fees, materials and possibly other expenses lost as a result of discrimination.

What if I suffered a form of discrimination other than disability?

The Wisconsin law prohibiting discrimination in higher education only covers disabilities, such as a physical impairment or developmental disability. Other types of discrimination in higher education, such as race, color, national origin, or sex, may be addressed by the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division or the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights.

Does the law apply to private colleges or schools?

If an education institute receives some form of public funds it may be subject to the Wisconsin law even if it is privately owned.

For more information