Outdated or Unsupported Browser Detected
DWD's website uses the latest technology. This makes our site faster and easier to use across all devices. Unfortunatley, your browser is out of date and is not supported. An update is not required, but it is strongly recommended to improve your browsing experience. To update Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge visit their website.
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Policy and Guidance
- Funding Comprehensive Transition Programs (CTP) Guidance
Funding Comprehensive Transition Programs (CTP) Guidance
Revised: July 2020
To inform DVR staff about how to support Comprehensive Transition Programs (CTP) and when they are appropriate for specific consumers.
Develop a consistent statewide approach to CTP support and determine appropriate funding for these types of programs.
Wisconsin DVR uses the Department of Education Federal Financial Aid definition for CTP and
requires that the program be financial aid eligible for it to be considered for support. For the
definition of a CTP and listing of approved CTP programs in Wisconsin, view the Federal Student Aid site.
Considerations When Determining Support of CTPs
- The CTP training program needs to be necessary to reach the IPE goal which takes Labor Market Information into account. Other comparable services and public or private educational/training programs need to be explored to determine if they would meet the consumer's employment-related needs at the lowest cost.
- DVR will consider the consumer's skills and abilities to determine if a CTP is necessary and appropriate to reach their employment goal.
- Use the Education Resource Guide for Students and Families – Think Possibilities to explore options for training programs that may be required for their employment goal.
- Direct consultation with the DVR Supervisor is required prior to inclusion in an IPE.
Funding Considerations if a CTP is Approved
- Based on the type of CTP, (e.g. in-state, public, out-of-state, or private) follow
the appropriate DVR Training Grant process.
- Approval for Private and Out-of-State School
- Approval for all in-state schools, follow the Training Grant check list and fee
schedule for funding and approved time frame: DVR Training Grant
- Incremental support can be used in the IPE depending on circumstances and how progress will
be measured. For example, support one year at a time with specific progress measures to be
- Have conversations with consumers about applying for scholarships, grants, or other financial
supports such as a PASS Plan through the Social Security Administration.
- Seek cost-sharing opportunities with local school districts and long-term support programs.
- Confirm if the consumer has other ways to fund a portion of the training costs (i.e. parental