Youth Apprenticeship Employment of Minors (Child Labor)

The following child labor law information is for Youth Apprenticeship and other work-based learning programs (Co-op, Skills Certified Co-op); Employers, Instructors, Students and Parents.

Wisconsin contacts:

  • DWD Equal Rights Division, Bureau of Investigations Director Matthew P. White, Phone: (608) 261-7685.
  • Joy Gander, Gander Consulting, is contracted to provide Risk Management Services to Wisconsin's public schools as part of a Wisconsin Association of School Boards contract. Phone: (608) 286-0286 or email Joy M. Gänder, CPCU, ARM, Principal.

Other state contacts:

Student Learner Work Permits Hazardous Restrictions Other Web Links

Student Learner

Wis. Admin. Code DWD 270.14

In order to be considered a student learner, minors must meet the following criteria:

  • Enrolled in a school to work-based learning program sponsored by an accredited school, the technical college system board or DWD’s Youth Apprenticeship program.
  • Enrolled in school and receiving school credit for program participation.
  • Receive appropriate safety instruction at the school and at the workplace.
  • Work performed is under direct and close supervision of a qualified and experienced person.
  • Work performed in any occupation declared hazardous is incidental to the training and is for intermittent and short periods of time.
    • NOTE: Student Learner status does NOT override the Employment of Minors laws. The student learner exception limits the minor to performing some hazardous tasks to an incidental (less than 5% of their work time) and occasional (not a regular part of their job) basis. ( See Wis. Admin. Code DWD 270.14(3)(f)).
  • There is a schedule of organized and progressive work processes to be performed on the job.

Work Permits

2017 Wisconsin Act 11 became effective June 23, 2017. This Act changed some work permit requirements for 16- and 17-year old minors. Work permits are no longer required for 16 and 17 year old minors. The Wisconsin Equal Rights Division has more information on the Employment of Minors.

Contact the Equal Rights office for more information.

The Youth Apprenticeship (YA) Program. Students and employers must have an approved Education Training Agreement on file with the school AND the employer.

Work Permits are NOT Needed for:

  1. Agricultural work.
  2. Domestic employment - Work within a private home that is not a business, such as babysitting, yard work.
  3. Volunteer work for a non-profit agency, such as a volunteer at a non-profit hospital. Minors cannot perform prohibited work while volunteering. See Wis. Admin. Code DWD 270.18.
  4. Court-ordered restitution or court-ordered community service.
  5. A minor may be employed without a permit by a nonprofit organization in and around the home of an elderly person or a person with a disability to perform snow shoveling, lawn mowing, leaf raking, or other similar work usual to the home of the elderly person or person with a disability, if all of the following apply:
    • The work is not in connection with or a part of the business, trade, or profession of that person and is in accordance with the minimum age stated in Wis. Stat. 103.67(2)(fm).
    • The type of employment is not specifically prohibited by Wis. Stat. 103.64 to 103.82 or by any order of the department.
    • The minor is paid the applicable minimum wage under Wis. Stat. 104 or under federal law, whichever is greater for the work.
    • The minor’s parent or guardian provides the nonprofit organization with his or her written consent for the minor to perform the work.
  6. A minor may be employed without a permit as an election inspector.

Hazardous Restrictions

Other Web Links