What Do I Do If My Employer Does Not Have Insurance?

If your injury/illness occurred on or after July 1, 1996 you may file a claim for worker's compensation benefits through the Uninsured Employers Fund (UEF).

The UEF pays worker's compensation benefits on valid worker's compensation claims filed by employees who are injured while working for illegally uninsured Wisconsin employers.

When a compensable claim is filed, the UEF pays the injured employee worker's compensation benefits as though the uninsured employer had been insured.

To file a claim, an injured worker must:

Your claim will be thoroughly investigated after it has been filed. In verifying the information submitted in support of your claim for compensation, the department or its agent may need to share information with other government agencies such as those responsible for tax collection, unemployment insurance, medical assistance, vocational rehabilitation, family support or general relief.

You will be notified of the status of your claim within 14 days after receiving your completed UEF claim application. The Worker's Compensation Division or its agent will:

The Division or its agent will notify you of the status of your claim at least once every 30 days from the date of the first notification that the claim is under review until the first indemnity payment is made or the claim is denied.

Funds for paying benefits from the UEF are obtained from penalties assessed against employers for illegally operating a business without worker's compensation insurance. The penalties are mandatory and non-negotiable. Additionally, uninsured employers are required to reimburse for benefit payments made by the UEF. The UEF uses aggressive collection action (including warrants, levies, garnishment and execution against property) to secure penalty assessments and reimbursement of benefits payments.