Worker's Compensation

How Do I Get Vocational Rehabilitation Services

If you are unable to return to your previous employment because of a permanent disability or restriction, you may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation services which may include job placement assistance or retraining.

To be eligible for vocational rehabilitation services you must:

  • Be unemployed or employed in a less than "suitable" position
  • You will receive vocational rehabilitation services from either a public or private vocational rehabilitation program. The DVR is the public program and will provide services if your disability is very severe and is consistent with the order in which it is providing services.  If the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation cannot provide the needed services, you will be served within a private vocational rehabilitation network.

    To obtain vocational rehabilitation services from the public or the private program:

    First, contact the DVR for a determination of eligibility.  A vocational rehabilitation counselor will work with you to assess your functional limitations and determine if you need services in order be employed. You will then receive a statement indicating that you are either eligible or ineligible.

    Second, the DVR will inform you if it will provide services directly or will refer you to the Worker's Compensation Division's Vocational Rehabilitation Unit. If the DVR is unable to provide services, the Worker's Compensation Division will provide a list of certified private vocational rehabilitation specialists from which you may choose to obtain your services.

    When there is no dispute regarding the need for vocational rehabilitation (retraining), the insurer or self-insured employer is responsible for paying your weekly TTD benefit for each week you are in school. The insurer or self-insured employer is also responsible to pay mileage reimbursement for travel to and from school,  a meal allowance, and the actual and necessary costs of tuition, fees and books.

    If your vocational services are provided by a private vocational specialist, the insurer or self-insured employer is responsible for paying the specialist's fee and the cost of tuition, books, fees and other expenses related to the retraining program.  

    Email DWD DWD Photo Gallery DWD on Twitter DWD on Facebook DWD on YouTube DWD on LinkedIn DWD RSS Feed

    A proud partner of the network