Filing First Time
for Unemployment Benefits:
for UI Benefits:
for UI Benefits:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Forms and Publications
- Handbook for Claimants
- Unemployment Laws
- Other Resources
When Will I Receive My First Payment?
- If there are no pending eligibility questions on your claim, we will generally determine your entitlement within 7 days of your filing of the initial claim
- and benefit payments are usually sent within 7 days after a completed weekly claim certification has been received.
Do not expect to receive your benefit payments on the same day or within the same amount of time each week.
No Payment or Explanation within 7 days of filing?
FIND OUT IF A PAYMENT WAS ISSUED
If you do not receive a payment (or an explanation for not receiving a payment) within 7 days of filing a weekly claim certification, go online at https://my.unemployment,gov to find out if a payment has been issued.
If a payment was NOT issued:
- If a payment was not made for the week in question, and it has been at least 7 days since you filed your claim for that week, call a Claims Specialist for assistance.
If a payment WAS issued:
- Did you change your address?
If your payment was made for the week in question but you have changed your address, call a Claims Specialist for assistance.
- You didn't change your address?
If a payment was made for the week in question and you have NOT changed your address, wait until 12 days have passed since the check was mailed.
- No payment and you've waited 12 days?
If you still have not received the payment after 12 days have passed, call a Claims Specialist to file a "Missing Check Inquiry."
Electronic Payment Options
You have the option of receiving your unemployment benefits by:
- Direct Deposit to your checking or savings account, or
- Visa® Pre-Paid Debit Card (U.S. Bank ReliaCard®)
Learn more about enrolling in these payment method options.
Notice Regarding Availability of Checks
The department is phasing out the use of paper checks. If you file a new claim or re-open a current but inactive claim, you can receive payment either by direct deposit or Visa pre-paid debit card as explained above.
- Cashing Your Own Checks
Only you can endorse and cash your benefit checks. Never endorse the check until you cash it.
- Lost or Stolen Checks
If you lose your UI check or if it is stolen, call a Claims Specialist and file a missing check inquiry. It takes at least 60 days after filing an inquiry about a lost or stolen check to receive a replacement check, with some exceptions.