Returning Vet & UI Benefits

I am a returning military veteran coming off active duty --
How do I apply for unemployment benefits?

Filing Process

The filing process for military service veterans coming off active duty is the same as anyone filing for unemployment benefits. Your claim cannot start earlier than the week of your separation date, as it appears on your DD-214.

Copy 4 of the DD-214

A request for your member copy 4 of the DD-214, for all active duty terms within the last 18 months, will be sent to you after you file.

Acceptable Member Copy

Your claim may be delayed if you are unable to send in a copy of the DD-214 (acceptable copies are member copy 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8).

Unacceptable Copy

The worksheet and copy 1 cannot be used because they do not include the separation type or narrative reason of separation.


Additional resources are available from the Office of Veteran Employment Services.

Email DWD DWD Instragram DWD on Twitter DWD on Facebook DWD on YouTube DWD on LinkedIn DWD RSS Feed

A proud partner of the network