More UI FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions About the Visa® Pre-Paid Debit Card (U.S. Bank ReliaCard®)
- What is the U.S. Bank ReliaCard?
- The U.S. Bank ReliaCard is a reloadable, prepaid debit card issued by U.S. Bank. The ReliaCard provides an electronic option for receiving your unemployment insurance payments. It is not a credit card, but works similarly to other debit cards.
- How does the U.S. Bank ReliaCard work?
- Once funds are added to the card account, it can be used to make purchases, pay bills, and make online, phone or mail-order purchases. You can also get cash back with purchases at participating merchants or withdraw cash at ATMs, banks or credit unions. The amounts of purchases, bill payments or cash withdrawals are automatically deducted from the available balance on the card.
- What are the advantages of having a U.S. Bank ReliaCard?
- Fast – Your money is automatically deposited to your card account
- Save Time – Easy and quick access to your funds without waiting in line to cash or deposit a check
- Convenient – Make purchases anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, including retail stores, grocery stores, restaurants and pharmacies and withdraw cash at ATMs
- Secure – No need to carry large amounts of cash
- Save Money – No more going to the check casher
- Track Spending – Account information and customer service 24 hours a day
- Purchasing Power – Enjoy the prestige and purchase protection given to Visa® branded cardholders, without a credit check1
- Reliable – Receive your money on time. No more lost or stolen checks
- Safe – Funds are FDIC insured and are protected by Visa Zero Liability2
- How do I check my balance?
- Online – View account online at www.usbankreliacard.com
- Text/Email3 – Sign up to receive free email or text alerts when funds have been deposited to your account or when your balance gets low
- Mobile Banking App4 – Search for “U.S. Bank ReliaCard” in the App Store or Google Play
- Phone – Call Cardholder Services toll-free at 855-279-1271
- ATM – Perform a balance inquiry at an ATM5
- How can I choose a debit card instead of my current payment method for unemployment benefits?
- Log into http://my.unemployment.wisconsin.gov to sign up for a Visa pre-paid debit card (U.S. Bank ReliaCard).
- Do I need to choose to be paid via direct deposit or the Visa pre-paid debit card when completing my initial claim?
- Yes, you must choose to have your UI benefits deposited automatically to the Visa pre-paid debit card (U.S. Bank ReliaCard) or to a checking or savings account. If choosing direct deposit, please be sure to provide your checking or savings account information when completing your initial claim. If you do not provide your account information, you will automatically be set up with a Visa pre-paid debit card for your UI benefit payments. Please note: you must choose a payment method in order to complete your initial claim.
- When the card is sent in the mail, what does the envelope look like?
- For security reasons, the card will arrive in a plain, white, window envelope with a Indianapolis, IN return address.
- What information or instructions come with the card?
- The card comes with:
- Instructions on how to activate the card and fee schedule
- The cardholder agreement, which discloses terms and conditions
- A usage guide detailing where and how the card can be used
- The U.S. Bank Privacy Pledge
- What do I do after I receive the card?
- Your card should arrive within 5-7 business days after you have enrolled in the program and your benefit payments have been approved. After receiving the card in the mail, you must call Cardholder Services at 855-279-1271 or visit www.usbankreliacard.com to activate the card and choose your PIN (Personal Identification Number). You cannot use the card until it has been activated. Be sure to sign your name on the back of your card in ink. Your card is not valid unless it’s signed. Note: U.S. Bank accepts relay calls.
- Do I receive a new card every time a payment is made?
- No. Future payments will be deposited automatically onto the initial card. If the card is lost or stolen, call Cardholder Services at 855-279-1271 to report it immediately and they will send a new one. The remaining balance from the old card is transferred to the new card. Future payments will be deposited to the new card.
- How do I make a purchase with my card?
- The card works much like other prepaid or debit cards. You can use it online, over the phone, at grocery stores, retail stores, restaurants, medical offices, etc. It is important to know your account balance before making purchases.
- When making a purchase, on the authorization machine, which selection (credit or debit) do I choose?
- Select “Credit” or "Debit" to make a purchase. Select “Debit” to get ‘cash back’ with your purchase. (You will have to enter your PIN.)
- How can I get cash with my card?
- How do I withdraw cash at an ATM?
- Insert or swipe your card and enter your 4-digit PIN
- Select “Withdrawal from Checking”
- Enter the amount to be withdrawn
- How do I get cash at a bank or credit union teller?
- You must know your available balance (the teller will not have access to this information) and ask for a cash withdrawal in the amount you wish to withdraw. Note: you may need to provide your driver’s license to verify your identity.
- How do I get cash back with a purchase?
- When the authorization machine asks for credit or debit, select ‘debit’
- Enter the 4-digit PIN
- Select ‘Yes’ for cash back
- Enter the amount, press ‘OK’
- Do I have to go to a U.S. Bank ATM or U.S. Bank branch to get cash?
- No. You can get cash back with purchases at merchants throughout the United States such as grocery and convenience stores. Cash can also be obtained from any ATM5 or over the counter at any Visa bank or credit union. To find the ATM nearest you, visit www.usbank.com/locate or www.moneypass.com
- Do I need a PIN to use the card?
- Yes & No. The card can be used to make signature-based purchases without a PIN. However, a PIN must be used for PIN-based purchases and for cash withdrawals at ATMs. You must choose your own PIN by calling Cardholder Services at 855-279-1271 or visiting www.usbankreliacard.com after you receive your card. For security reasons it is important that you pick a PIN that only you would know, and not share the PIN or the card with anyone.
- What should I do if I forget my PIN?
- You must contact Cardholder Services at 855-279-1271 or visit www.usbankreliacard.com to reset your PIN.
- Can I still get cash if I forget my PIN?
- Yes. You can go to any Visa bank or credit union and ask the teller for a cash withdrawal5.
- How can I be notified when funds are deposited to my card?
- You have the option of signing up for optional text or email alerts3
when money is added or your card balance
gets low at
www.usbankreliacard.com. You can also use U.S. Bank’s two-way text-alert
feature by texting a short code to receive the following updates:
Alert Type Instructions Balance Alert Text BAL to 90831 Recent Transactions Text TRANS to 90831 Customer Service Number Text HELP to 90831
- Can I pay bills with my card?
- Yes. You can visit your billers’ websites and provide your 16-digit card number and expiration date or log on to www.usbankreliacard.com.
- Can I manage my account with my smart phone?
- Yes. You can use the ReliaCard Mobile Banking app to check your account balance, enroll in and manage text alerts, view your most recent transactions or search for the nearest in-network ATM location. Search for “U.S. Bank ReliaCard” in the App Store or Google Play4
- Can I make a purchase for more than the amount on my card?
- If you need to make a purchase for more than the amount you have on your card, you will need to use two forms of payment. Tell the cashier how much you want taken from the balance on your card – the cashier cannot determine your available balance. Then, pay the remaining balance with cash, check, credit card or check card.
- Can the card be overdrawn?
- Usually a purchase that exceeds the available balance will not be approved. In very limited circumstances, if you do not have sufficient funds when the final amount clears, it may result in a negative balance; however, you will not be charged an overdraft fee. You can check your balance online, using the ReliaCard Mobile App or by calling Cardholder Services 24/7 at 855-279-1271.
- Can I use my card at the gas pump?
- Yes. However, if you use your card to pay at the pump, U.S. Bank will hold up to $75 from your account to initiate your transaction. This hold may take up to 4 days to clear. If you do not want funds held or do not have enough money in your account, you should pay the cashier inside for your gasoline purchase.
- Can anyone else view or track my transactions?
- No. For privacy reasons, U.S. Bank does not share card account numbers or transaction details. However, for reconciliation purposes, the UI Division does have access to the amount and date of each deposit.
- Will I earn interest on the funds in my U.S. Bank ReliaCard account?
- No. The account does not earn interest.
- How do I obtain information about fees for my card?
- Fees are located on the Fee Schedule sent to you with your card. You may view your fee schedule online by logging into your account at www.usbankreliacard.com. You may also call Cardholder Services at 855-279-1271 to request fee information.
- Who can I contact if I'm having difficulty signing up online for a Visa Pre-Paid Debit Card (U.S. Bank ReliaCard)?
- View the online benefit services FAQ or contact an unemployment claims specialist for assistance at 414-435-7069.
- Can I view my U.S. Bank ReliaCard account online?
- Yes, at
www.usbankreliacard.com. The following functions can be performed online:
- PIN Change
- Balance inquiry
- View card transactions
- View previous statements
- Set up alerts
- Pay bills
- How do I view my U.S. Bank ReliaCard monthly statement?
- Monthly statements can be viewed online 24/7 at www.usbankreliacard.com.
- What should I do if I change addresses?
- Contact Cardholder Services at 855-279-1271 or visit www.usbankreliacard.com to report an address change. Also, go online at https://my.unemployment.wisconsin.gov to update your address with the department so your mail will be sent to the correct address. For help using online services call 414-435-7069 during business hours.
- Who do I contact if I have questions about my card?
- For questions about your funds, such as when you will receive the next deposit to the card, or the amount of a deposit to the card, go online at https://my.unemployment.wisconsin.gov. For help using online services call 414-435-7069 during business hours. For all other questions about the card, you may log into your account at www.usbankreliacard.com or contact Cardholder Services 24 hours a day, at 855-279-1271. This number is on the back of the card.
- What happens if my card gets lost or stolen?
- You must call Cardholder Services at 855-279-1271 to report your card lost/stolen and have a replacement card sent to you within 5-7 business days. You may not be responsible for any fraudulent activity that occurs on your card provided that you report the card missing in a timely manner, and have not shared your card or PIN number with anyone.
- What I should do with my card after I'm done filing for unemployment?
- Keep your debit card for any future claims. Your current card remains active through its expiration date.
- Can I contact a retail U.S. Bank location or my local bank for customer service on my U.S. Bank ReliaCard account?
- No. You must direct all U.S. Bank ReliaCard questions to Cardholder Services at 855-279-1271, or utilize the web site, www.usbankreliacard.com, for inquiries.
- What services does the U.S. Bank 24-hour Cardholder Services provide?
- The following can be done through customer service:
- Activate the card
- Choose/Change PIN (Personal Identification Number)
- Balance inquiry
- Review recent transaction history
- Report card lost or stolen and have it reissued
- Speak to a live customer service representative if additional assistance is needed
Note: U.S. Bank accepts relay calls.
- Who should I contact if I’m having problems with my card?
- You must direct all U.S. Bank ReliaCard questions to Cardholder Services at 855-279-1271, or utilize the web site, www.usbankreliacard.com, for inquiries.
- Who should I contact if I’m having problems regarding a payment?
- Start by checking online at http://my.unemployment.wisconsin.gov. For help using online services or if you are truly unable to go online call 414-435-7069 during business hours.
- Can I switch to receiving payments by direct deposit after I receive my card?
- Yes, if you have a valid bank account. You can enroll online at http://my.unemployment.wisconsin.gov. See the Direct Deposit FAQ for more information.
- Can I stop receiving payments by card?
- You may choose to be paid via direct deposit and discontinue use of the card. However, any payments deposited to the card account can only be accessed through the card. You can choose future benefits be deposited into your direct deposit account. See the Direct Deposit FAQ for more information.
- Can I close my U.S. Bank ReliaCard account?
- Yes, but it is not necessary to close your account. You should keep your card. Your current card remains active through its expiration date and can be used for future claims.
1Successful identity verification required. To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. If necessary, we may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents.
2Visa’s Zero Liability Policy protects you against unauthorized transactions processed by Visa. You must notify U.S. Bank immediately of any unauthorized use. Other conditions may apply. See your Cardholder Agreement for details.
4The U.S. Bank ReliaCard Mobile App is free to download. Your mobile carrier may charge access fees depending upon your individual plan. Web access is needed to use Mobile App. Check with your carrier for specific fees and charges. Some mobile features may require additional online setup. Any fees for optional transactions will be identified during their use.
5 Some fees may apply. Login to your account online at www.usbankreliacard.com or contact Cardholder Services at 855-279-1271 for a full list of fees.
The ReliaCard is issued by U.S. Bank National Association pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A., Inc. © 2015 U.S. Bank Member FDIC.