Frequently Asked Questions About FAC and FAC Overpayments

What is FAC?
Federal Additional Compensation (FAC) was a federal program created as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. The FAC program provided a $25 weekly supplement to the Unemployment Insurance (UI) payments. The FAC program ended December 12, 2010.
Why am I receiving a notice of a FAC overpayment?
You are receiving the UCB-25 Notice of Federal Additional Compensation Overpayment because you were found to have been totally overpaid unemployment insurance benefits for a week(s) and you must also repay the overpaid FAC payments. The date of the original overpayment decision or notice that established the overpayment is shown on the UCB-25.
Why am I receiving this notice of FAC overpayment now? The overpayment was from a long time ago.
In the interest of getting extended UI benefits to the unemployed as soon as possible, the technical work required to issue these notices was delayed.
How do I pay this back?
  • If you are currently filing for benefits, the overpayment will be withheld from your next payment.
  • If you are not currently claiming benefits, or if you stop claiming before your overpayment of FAC is repaid, you must make arrangements to repay the overpayment.
  • If you are unable to pay the overpayment in full, please call 608-266-9701 to set up an installment plan.
  • If you have a current payment plan, you will utilize that same agreement and your balance due will be increased.
  • If you have filed for bankruptcy then consider this as notice only and not a demand for payment. When your bankruptcy case is closed, any portion of this unemployment benefit overpayment debt not discharged shall become payable and due.
Where do I send the payments?
We do not accept credit or debit cards. Please make your check or money order payable to DWD. Include your social security number and the notation "For Federal Additional Compensation Overpayment."

Mail your payment to:

Unemployment Insurance
P.O. Box 7888
Madison, WI 53707
What do I do if I disagree with this overpayment?
The UCB-25 is not appealable. If you disagree with the decision that you were overpaid unemployment benefits, you must follow the procedures to appeal that decision. If the time limit to appeal that decision has expired and you disagree with the calculation of the amount of the FAC overpayment shown on this notice, please contact 414-435-7069.
Email DWD DWD Instragram DWD on Twitter DWD on Facebook DWD on YouTube DWD on LinkedIn DWD RSS Feed

A proud partner of the network