Outdated or Unsupported Browser Detected
DWD's website uses the latest technology. This makes our site faster and easier to use across all devices. Unfortunatley, your browser is out of date and is not supported. An update is not required, but it is strongly recommended to improve your browsing experience. To update Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge visit their website.

Work Permit Officer Handbook: Frequently Asked Questions

After issuing the permit, I realized I entered the minor/employer/school information incorrectly. How do I edit this in the system?

Our current system does not allow anyone to edit information in a work permit once the permit has been issued. If you discover a mistake within 24 hours of issuing the permit, you may delete the incorrect permit yourself and simply reissue with the correct information. If you discover the mistake after 24 hours, you must contact the Department at (608) 266-6860 or via email to request that we delete the permit. Once we delete it, you can then reissue a new permit with the correct information.

There is no additional $10 fee for replacement permits.

The minor attends a school that is not included in the drop-down menu. How do I add this school to the drop-down menu?

Schools can only be added to the drop-down menu by our Department. Please call (608) 266-6860 or email to request that a school be added. Please be prepared to provide the school name, school district, county, address, phone number, and principal name.

Our former employee is still listed as a work permit officer for our office. How do I have him/her deactivated?

Work permit officers can only be deactivated by our Department. Please call (608) 266-6860 or email to request that a work permit officer be removed.

Our school principal/address/phone number/email address, etc. has changed. How do I edit this in the system so it appears properly on the work permit?

These changes can only be made by our Department. Please call (608) 266-6860 or email to update your school or work permit office's information.

I've forgotten my password. How can I retrieve it?

If you forgot your password you can reset it by visiting our help section. Click on the "Click here to recover your logon" link. You'll be prompted to enter your user name that you entered when you signed up for your DWD account. If you do not know your user name you can use the Forgot Username option or you can call the service desk at (608) 266-7252.

The person who issues work permits in our office is on vacation. How can I sign in to her account to issue permits during her absence?

You can't. Only authorized work permit officers may access the online work permit system. Each DWD account is specific to each individual work permit officer. Passwords should never be shared.

Fortunately, it's easy to become a work permit officer. See #1 of How to Issue an Employment of Minors Permit for instructions. It's a good idea to have at least 2 work permit officers in each office in the event of absences by the primary work permit officer.

The minor lost his social security card, but he does have a passport (or other gov't document). May I use the passport (or other gov't document) instead?

No. Every single minor who applies for a work permit must show his/her original social security card or a letter saying that a replacement card has been issued. (See #3 of How to Issue an Employment of Minors Permit in the section above..) "Other government documents" may be used in rare circumstances for proof of age, but a social security card is a separate requirement of obtaining a work permit.

I'm not sure if the work described would be prohibited for a minor this age or I believe the work is prohibited by the parent/minor/employer disagrees. How do I find out for sure?

Call (608) 266-6860 or email us! We are happy to advise on these matters.

A minor/parent/friend informed me that an employer is violating employment of minors laws. How can I report this or who can I talk to to determine whether a violation is occurring?

Call (608) 266-6860 or email us! We are happy to discuss any concerns and, if warranted, we can investigate to determine whether a violation is occurring. We accept anonymous complaints from any member of the public, including work permit officers.

I don't feel comfortable issuing a permit for this minor because something about the employer/minor/parent/work just seems fishy to me for some reason. What are my options?

You can always refuse to grant a permit if in your judgment the best interests of the minor would be served by the refusal. Feel free to discuss your concerns with our Department. Call (608) 266-6860 or email us!

I'm not sure that the documents provided by the minor are allowable as proof of age and identity. Who can I ask to make sure?

Call (608) 266-6860 or email us!

We need to add an additional work permit officer to our office. How do we do this?

This has to be done online through a two-step process. See #1 of How to Issue an Employment of Minors Permit or contact us for specific instructions.

I need you to send work permit invoices to someone else in our office. How do we make this change?

These changes can only be made by our Department. Please call (608) 266-6860 or email to update your office's primary contact person.

The minor is suspended or expelled from school. Can I issue a work permit to this person? If so, is she allowed to work during normal school hours?

Suspended or expelled minors are still eligible to obtain work permits. A minor who is 14 years of age or older may not be employed during the hours that the minor is required to attend school. Because suspended or expelled minors are not required to attend school, they may work during school hours during the period of suspension or expulsion.

I know that minors are not allowed to work during hours they are required to attend school, but this minor is home-schooled. How do I know what hours the minor is required to attend school?

You will need to ask the minor or the parent for a 'schedule' of the minor's home school hours. The schedule can be whatever the parent/minor wants it to be. Just make sure that the minor is not scheduled to work during the stated home school hours.

For more information