Scott Walker, Governor
Raymond Allen, Secretary
Department of Workforce Development
201 E. Washington Avenue
P.O. Box 7946
Madison, WI 53707-7946
Telephone: (608) 266-3131
Fax: (608) 266-1784
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, October 14, 2016
CONTACT: DWD Communications, 608-266-2722
On the Web: http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/dwd/news.htm
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WIWorkforce
On Twitter: @WIWorkforce
DWD Introduces New Labor and Employment Webinar Series for Wisconsin Employers
MADISON – This month, the Department of Workforce Development's Equal Rights Division will be introducing a new Labor and Employment Master Class Webinar Series for Wisconsin employers. The series aims to assist employers with complex legal issues to assure the strength and viability of the Wisconsin workplace while working to eliminate and prevent illegal employment practices and discrimination.
The series – beginning October 28, 2016 – is a collection of 90-minute webinars that will go beyond the basics to provide pertinent, timely labor and employment information for employers, employees, attorneys, and other interested attendees.
The first session of the series, presented on October 28th by Jim Chiolino, Labor Standards Bureau Director and author of Wisconsin Wages and Hours Handbook, is a bit of "just in time" training for HR professionals and others who need to understand upcoming changes to the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) on December 1st.
In July, the US Department of Labor announced some wide-reaching changes to its overtime pay exemptions for specific employees, taking effect in December. This session will provide information that Wisconsin employers need to know, including:
- The current state of the law – Wisconsin and Federal.
- A summary of the FLSA changes.
- The Wisconsin distinctions: How are nonprofits impacted? How are government employees impacted?
- Various ways to respond. One size does not fit all!
Upcoming series topics include:
- Changing Federal Overtime Exemptions set to take effect December 1, 2016. (10/28/2016)
- Protected Leave in Wisconsin: Wisconsin's Family and Medical Leave Act and The Bone Marrow and Organ Donor Leave Act. (1/27/2017)
- Demystifying Arrest and Conviction Record Protections in the Wisconsin Fair Employment Law. (4/27/2017)
For information about online registration, go to: http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/er/Labor_and_Employment_Master_Classes/default.htm