Core Competencies online modules
There are three Health Science YA pathways to choose. All three pathways require obtaining the Core Skills and Safety and Security Units concurrently with the chosen technical unit skills. Additionally, the Nursing Assistant Unit requires training and passing of the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) test. The Nursing Assistant Unit and Ambulatory/Support Services Unit may be repeated two times for a Level Two (two year) YA program provided additional skills are trained and mastered.
Health Science YA Program Timeframe
- One Year Health Science YA Program = Required Skills + One Additional Unit MINIMUM
- Two Year Health Science YA Program = = Required Skills + Two Additional Units MINIMUM
- Switching between pathways is allowable if permitted by local consortium policy
Health Science Required Skills
These units provide the employability, safety, and security skills foundation for working in the Health Science industry.
Therapeutic Services Pathway
These units provide the learner with skills necessary to care and treat patients to improve their health over time.
Health Informatics Pathway
This unit provides the learner with skills necessary to manage and maintain patient data and technological applications related to health care.
Ambulatory/Support Services Pathway
This unit provides the learner with skills necessary to work in a variety of healthcare ambulatory and support settings
Related Health Science Program Information
Audio Visual Resources
Health Science YA Curriculum Training (2012)
An 11.5-minute self-paced audio PowerPoint that describes the changes to the Health Science YA curriculum in 2012.
Training Video (2013)
A 5-minute, self-paced Power Point that describes the addition of the Dental Assistant Unit to the Health Science YA Program.
Certifications and Organizations
- AHEC - Wisconsin Area Health Education Center (http://www.ahec.wisc.edu/)
- DANB - Dental Assisting National Board (http://www.danb.org/)
- DHS/CNA - Wisconsin Department of Health Services (http://dhs.wisconsin.gov/caregiver/NATD/NrsAidTrgPrgInf.htm)
- HOSA - Health Occupations Students of America (http://www.hosa.org/)
- National Consortium for Health Science Education (http://www.healthscienceconsortium.org/)
- Peace Corps Health Opportunities (http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=learn.whatvol.health)
- PSW - Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin (http://www.pswi.org/)
- PTCE - Pharmacy Technician Certification (https://www.ptcb.org/AM/)
- WHA - Wisconsin Hospital Association (http://www.wha.org/)
- WHIMA - Wisconsin Health Information Management Association (http://www.whima.org/)
- WI HOSA (http://dpi.wi.gov/hosa/index.html)
- WDA- Wisconsin Dental Association (http://www.wda.org)
- WNA - Wisconsin Nurses Association (http://www.wisconsinnurses.org/)
- WSMA - Wisconsin Society of Medical Assistants (http://www.wsma.net/)
The Career Clusters icons are being used with permission of the: States' Career Clusters Initiative, 2007.