Regional Youth Apprenticeship Coordinators
2014 Youth Apprenticeship Forum
Materials from the 2014 Youth Apprenticeship Forum held Tuesday, April 8 in Wisconsin Dells are found below.
Note: Forum materials will remain posted through October 15, 2014.
- Marketing the Program: A Boilerplate Approach to a Common Problem
Presenters: Nelse Grundvig, Data Development Section Chief, DWD; Mark W. Wurl, Job Center Linkage Analyst, DWD
- Funding and Applying for Grants
Presenter: Nancy Kargel, High Risk Population Specialist, DWD
- Promoting Readiness of Minors in Supplemental Security Income (PROMISE) Grant
Presenter: Suzanne Lee, PROMISE Grant Supervisor, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, DWD
- Career Pathways: Work-Based Learning and Youth Apprenticeship
Academic and Career Planning
Grid of Process/Product Components of Academic & Career Planning
Presenter: Robin Kroyer-Kubicek, Career Pathways Education Consultant, Department of Public Instruction
- Building the Next Generation of Skilled Workers in Construction Trades
Presenter: Tania Kilpatrick, YA Regional Coordinator and Career and Technical Education Coordinator, CESA 6
- Pathways Grant
Presenter: Kelly Canter, MSW, Housing and Employment Policy Coordinator, Office of Youth Services, Division of Safety and Permanence, Department of Children and Families
- Project Lead the Way
Presenter: Greg Quam, Director of School Engagement, Wisconsin Project Lead the Way, Inc.
- Articulation Agreements with Wisconsin Technical Colleges
Presenter: Ann Westrich, Education Director, Career Prep, Wisconsin Technical College System
- Registered Apprenticeship: A Strategic Advantage for Today's Workforce Challenges
Presenters: Mary Pierce, Field Operations Analyst, Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards (BAS), DWD; and, Lisa Perkofski, Apprenticeship Training Representative, BAS
- Marketing Youth Apprenticeship Programs (discussion)
Worksheets for YA: Tools to identify key markets for YA programs; aid managing customer relationships; labor market tools to identify potential employers; a milestone calendar; and, examples of "to do" lists for employer recruitment, school administration and instruction, and steering committee coordination.
Facilitator: Mark W. Wurl, Job Center Linkage Analyst, DWD
- Grant Request for Proposals Overview: Youth Apprenticeship Local Grants and Blueprint for Prosperity High School Pupil Initiative
Presenters: Jamie Bernthal, DWD; Amy Phillips, DWD; and, Cathy Crary, DWD
YA Program Information
- How does YA compare to other work-based learning programs?
- YA career programs
- Responsiblities in the YA program
- Requirements for YA employment
- Legal requirements governing YA student employment
- Requirements for YA related technical instruction
- Starting a YA program
- YA Program administration
- Required YA operational procedures
- YA program funding
- Operating a YA program
- Planning for required activities
- Recruit, enroll, and certify YA students
- Matching funds requirements
- How can I ensure my program grant will be awarded?
- Submitting a YA program application and grant
- This "Data Analysis to Inform Employer Engagement in Youth Development Programs" webinar describes the types of labor market data you should consider before establishing an employer engagement plan. It also features a promising practitioner who is using data to help formulate long lasting relationships with the employer community. Source: U.S. Department of Labor, Workforce3One, February 25, 2008.
- "New YA Coordinator Training" A 90 minute, self-paced, audio Power Point presentation for
YA Coordinators new to the job or those seeking clarification on components of the YA program.
Training Module 1 Correction: Slide 8 audio states 35 consortiums, the correct number is 36, as reflected in the typed text.
- "Recruiting new employers for the YA program" A 90 minute, self-paced, audio Power Point
presentation for YA Coordinators covering information vital for recruiting and partnering with employers in
- "Implementing Youth Apprenticeship at Your Worksite" A 60 minute, self-paced, audio Power Point presentation for NEW YA Employers or those seeking clarification on components of the employer role in YA.
- "Using the YA Curriculum" A 7.5 minute video explaining the components and use of the Youth Apprenticeship curriculum in your consortium, with your instructors, and with employers at the worksite.