Core Competencies online modules
Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources (AFNR)
There are two YA pathway programs to choose. Both programs require completion of the Core Skills and Safety Units concurrently with the applicable technical Basics Unit in the first year. The second year allows the AFNR YA student to specialize within that pathway depending on their area of interest and worksite placement.
Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources YA Program Timeframe
- One Year AFNR YA Program = Required Skills (Core Skills + Safety) and Basics Unit from applicable pathway MINIMUM
- Two Year AFNR YA Program = Required Skills + Basics Unit + One Specialty Pathway Unit MINIMUM
Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources (AFNR) Required Skills
These units provide the employability, safety, and technical skill foundation for working in the AFNR industry.
These program units provide the learner with skills necessary to work with agricultural production or companion animals.
These program units provide the learner with skills necessary to work with agricultural plant products or decorative plants.
Environmental Systems Pathway
These program units provide the learner with skills necessary to work with environmental natural resource systems such as water, land management, or forestry.
Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources (AFNR) YA Program Information
Audio Visual Resources
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources Curriculum Revisions (2013). A 5 minute, self-paced PowerPoint that describes the addition of the Water Resource Unit to the AFNR YA Program.
Certifications & Organizations
- CAERT- Center for Agricultural and Environmental Research and Training (http://www.caert.net/)
- DATCP- Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection (http://datcp.state.wi.us/)
- DOI- United States Department of the Interior (http://www.doi.gov/)
- EPA- Environmental Protection Agency (http://www.epa.gov/)
- FDA- Food and Drug Administration (http://www.fda.gov/)
- USDA- United States Department of Agriculture (http://www.usda.gov)
- WAAE- Wisconsin Association of Agricultural Educators (http://www.waae.com/)
- WAC- Wisconsin Agribusiness Council ( http://www.wisagri.com/)
- WI-DNR Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (http://dnr.wi.gov)
- WI DWD Registered Apprenticeship - Waste Water Management (http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/apprenticeship)
- WI-FFA- Wisconsin Future Farmers of America (http://www.wisconsinffa.org/)
- WRWA- Wisconsin Rural Water Association (http://www.wrwa.org)
- WWOA- Wisconsin Wastewater Operator's Association (http://www.wwoa.org)
The Career Clusters icons are being used with permission of the: States' Career Clusters Initiative, 2007.