Success Stories of Veterans - April 2014
Every month the Office of Veterans Services (OVS) will be sharing stories of individuals that have successfully found careers through our services. Visit often to see how Wisconsin is putting our Veterans back to work!
- A Veteran with a 70% service connected disability was out of work more than 6 months and looking for an administrative position with flexible schedule that would allow her to attend graduate school. OVS helped her develop a resume, prepare for interviews, and provided referrals. As a result, she reported she obtained a position as a part-time admin/sales support specialist that pays about $30,000 a year. Her work schedule is such that she can pursue a UW Masters in Science in supply chain management.
- A 100% service connected disabled Veteran, medically retired from Active Duty after serving more than 15 years, sought OVS assistance. OVS helped him prepare a cover letter and resume, provided job and employer referrals, as well as advocacy for positions. OVS Staff connected this Veteran with a local Veterans Service Organization Employment Coordinator. He was offered and accepted a position with as a placement specialist. He started work April 7, 2014, at $17.16 per hour.
- A 50% or more service connected Veteran met all of the requirements for the Veteran Employment Grant, On the Job Training and Work Opportunity Tax Credit. OVS connected him with the publishing company president, and he was hired. He started work on April 14, 2014, in a job paying$45,000 a year.
This is the first Veteran hired using the Veteran Employment Grant.
- A Veteran with a 90% service connected disability received OVS assistance in developing a resume, writing cover letters and thank you notes, and improving his interview skills. A Princeton car dealer offered him a job as an auto body technician with a starting date in May after he completes his schooling. He will start at $13.00 an hour, and his pay will increase to $18.00 an hour after 60 days. Veteran is very excited about this opportunity and was very grateful for OVS assistance.
- A Veteran was earning $14 an hour as an office assistant, but lost that job in a staff reduction. Following an initial assessment, OVS provided career guidance, job development, job search and placement assistance, plus referrals. A trucking firm hired him as an HR / Safety Supervisor at an annual salary of
$45,000, or over $15,800 more per year than he was earning in his previous job.
- A Veteran unemployed since November 2013 received help developing his resume, searching for jobs and preparing for interviews. He was hired recently by a communications company in Racine. His starting salary is $34,000 per year with the opportunity for an increase after six months. His starting salary is
$4,000 more than he earned in his previous job.
- A Veteran with service connected disability accepted a position as the Director of Customer Development with a local fabrication company. OVS assistance included the following: developing his resume, searching for jobs, and completing the necessary Work Opportunity Tax Credit forms. His job has a starting salary of
$70,000 a year plus excellent benefits.
- A young Iraq war Veteran sought a job to cover living expenses while he also attended school. OVS provided job leads and connected him with a local grocery store. He was hired at $29,000 per year with full benefits. Working second shift, he is able to continue his schooling. In addition to full benefits, he is earning
$11,000 more than he did in a previous job.