Success Stories of Veterans - March 2014
Every month the Office of Veteran Services (OVS) will be sharing stories of individuals that have successfully found careers through our services. Visit often to see how Wisconsin is putting our Veterans back to work!
- Veteran was assisted in building a new resume and focusing his job search. Veteran obtained a full-time job paying more than $40,000 a year with good benefits as a Service Technician with a medical imaging company in Madison.
- A Veteran laid off the past month as an industrial maintenance supervisor was assisted with resume writing, registering and posting his resume onto JCW. Within two weeks he obtained a full-time position with a marine customizing company. His starting salary
$60,000 with benefits.
- Veteran who was a telecommunications engineer was given assistance with resume development, salary information and negotiation techniques. He was referred to a local company for possible IT opportunities. . Vet was able to obtain a contract with this company for
$83,000 per year. This is an increase of $13,000 from his last position. He started his new position on the 24th of March 2014.
- A 50% service-connected disabled Veteran was hired by the VA Medical Clinic, Iron Mountain, Michigan, as a Respiratory Therapist. Veteran had received services from VA Vocational Rehab (CH 31), and upon completion of school, received services including assistance in a federal application under non-competitive status. He was hired at a starting of GS-7 at $42,000.
- A Veteran who was a resident of the Homeless Program at the Tomah VA was assisted with an initial assessment, job referrals, career guidance, job development, job search and placement. Veteran had worked at a job earning $7.75, wanted a better wage. With assistance, he secured full-time job with a local trucking company, in Tomah, WI, as a Warehouse Clerk, earning
$15.00 per hour which almost doubled his previous wage.
- Veteran sought assistance in Pewaukee for suggestions and recommendations on his resume. His resume was revised to reflect his project management experiences and construction management leadership positions. Veteran also received assistance in developing an individual employment plan and job leads. He accepted a position a design and build company based in Menomonee Falls, WI; as the Senior Project Manager. His starting salary is
$90,000 annual plus premiums.
- A Gold Card Veteran, separated from the U S Navy three months ago as an electronics systems installer was provided intensive services and hired within three weeks. VET J. C. began employment with a firm in Oak Creek, WI beginning March 31 at $40,000 annually.