Success Stories of Veterans - January 2014
Every month the Office of Veteran Services (OVS) will be sharing stories of individuals that have successfully found careers through our services. Visit often to see how Wisconsin is putting our Veterans back to work!
- Veteran was provided extensive services after he was laid off from his previous job. Veteran was provided individual counseling in his job search, resume targeting and cover letter creation. Working in collaboration with WIA Staff in Oshkosh, employment opportunities were identifying positions. Veteran was urged to apply for positions and mock interviews were conducted. Veteran was offered and accepted a position with a trucking accessory parts business in Oshkosh as an E-Commerce and Graphics Administrator. Veteran successfully negotiated his salary to start at $40,000 a year. He began his new position on January 30, 2014.
- A Gold Card Veteran with a 50% service connected disability was provided intensive services to include a comprehensive assessment, cover letter, and resume. Veteran was laid off from his previous job in the fall of 2013. He was interviewed and hired as an Installer, starting on February 3, 2014 with a wage of $13.00 per hour and full benefits. Veteran will get a wage increase after he completes his probation period.
- A 55-year-old Veteran from Vilas County was accepted into the welding program at Northcentral Technical College. This was made possible using DVOP assisted services to include VRAP, Retraining Grant and Pell Grants. Veteran graduated with honors in mid-December 2013. Veteran was given numerous job referrals. He accepted employment and started work February 3, 2014 in Prentice. His starting wage was $17.77 an hour.
- Veteran accepted a job with a food company as a maintenance mechanic. His pay will be about the same as his former position as a mail processor at UPS, approximately $52,000 per year. In his new job, he has good benefits and an opportunity for pay increases, whereas he was at the maximum wage in his previous position.
- A Green Bay area Veteran received services that included a comprehensive assessment, resume development, case management, and job development. Veteran accepted employment with a machine company as a Quality Systems Control Manager with a starting salary of $80,000 per year.
- A Veteran in the Racine-Kenosha area sought assistance to find employment as a Project Manager. Veteran was assisted with developing an effective resume, job search practices, and applying for federal and state job positions. Veteran attended several interviews before being offered a position with the U.S. Department of Agriculture as an Aviation Safety Director. Veteran accepted the position as the full time, permanent director earning $76,000 per year.