Frequently Asked Questions About Unemployment Insurance Hearings
General Questions About a Hearing
- Can the hearing office help me with my unemployment claim?
- Where are the hearing offices located?
- Why is this employer involved, since Im not claiming benefits from them?
- What is an ALJ?
- Do I need an attorney?
- Can I be represented by an attorney or an agent at the hearing?
- Is the department represented by an attorney in an unemployment tax appeal hearing?
- What does a representative do at a hearing?
- Is my testimony really needed?
- Can I speak directly to the administrative law judge who will be hearing my case?
- Will the hearing be similar to the initial fact finding interview?
- Who should come to the hearing?
- Why is the "burden of proof" important in an unemployment insurance hearing?
- What is "hearsay" evidence?
- Are my business records considered "hearsay" testimony?
- May unemployment insurance taxes be paid under protest while awaiting the results of a hearing?
Before a Hearing
- How do I file an appeal of a determination?
- What is a late appeal?
- When will my hearing be scheduled?
- The department's determination was in my favor – how do I know if the other party has appealed?
- If I’ve been receiving benefits, and my former employer appeals, do the benefits stop?
- Why am I not receiving payments?
- Should I continue to file?
- Do I need to send anything in before the hearing?
- What if I have special needs?
- What can I do to prepare for my hearing?
- Will I be able to participate by phone?
- Can I appear in person?
- I'll be traveling, can I call in for the hearing?
- Can I get a postponement?
- What if I decide to withdraw my request for a hearing?
- Is there something I should do if I am participating by phone and have a witness?
- How do I get a witness to appear or documentation that is not mine to the hearing?
During a Hearing
- What happens at a hearing?
- How long will the hearing last?
- Will my statement be taken over the telephone separately from the employe(r)s?
- Will someone from the unemployment insurance division represent me at my hearing?
- Can the hearing be adjourned so that I can get an attorney?
- What if the day of the hearing arrives and Im late, or I cant make it?
- What if the administrative law judge is delayed?
- What if the administrative law judge does not call on time?
- Is video or audio recording allowed as evidence?
- Can I testify about a document or video I have seen?
- Why do I have to present witnesses in person?
After a Hearing
- How long after the hearing will I have to wait for a decision?
- Can I appeal the administrative law judges decision?
- If an appeal is pending, should I continue to file claims?
- I just got a decision allowing unemployment benefits, when do I get my payments?
- When do I get my exhibits back?
- Can I speak to the administrative law judge after the hearing?
- Can I get a copy of the administrative law judges notes of the hearing?
- How do I get a copy of the hearing recording?