More UI FAQs
- Is there a minimum number of employees for reporting wage data via Internet file upload?
- No. We encourage all employers to report wage data via
the Internet. The Tax Report with Employee Wage Entry option is not available for employers or agents
reporting 150 or more employees. Employers or agents reporting wage data on-line for 150 or more employees
must use the wage file upload reporting option; however, you can also use the wage file upload reporting option
for wage reports containing just one employee if you wish.
- Do I need to submit a test file before I upload a wage report?
- You are not required to submit a test file before filing a wage report via upload;
however, our tax and wage reporting application does have a wage file upload test environment. Employers
and agents can upload test wage report files in this test environment to ensure that the wage file(s) are formatted
correctly. Our tax and wage reporting application will accept only those wage upload files that are in
one of four acceptable file formats. For this reason, we strongly encourage employers and agents to use
the test environment.
- What should I name my quarterly wage report file?
- We suggest using the first six digits of your UI account
number, or an abbreviation of your company name.
- Can I submit data for more than one employer account in the file?
- Yes. You can submit data
for multiple employer accounts in a single file, as long as the file is prepared
using one of our four approved data formats, and each employer is identified by
its correct UI Account Number.
- Should I include wages that exceed the taxable wage base on my wage report?
- Yes. Report all gross wages paid to each employee in
the calendar quarter on your quarterly wage report, regardless of whether they
have met the payroll exclusion.
- Can I send substitute forms from our computer instead of using forms from
Wisconsin Unemployment Insurance?
- No, we do not accept substitute forms. We use an optical
scanner to scan our paper reports and the data must line up and be in our exact
format. If you have a computer to print substitute forms, you probably have the
capability to file your wage report on-line, which is preferable to paper reporting.
- Do you supply software to create the file layout used to report quarterly
- No. You need to create your own text file using one of the four
acceptable data formats, and save it as an ASCII text file using the .txt file
you have the text file created, you can upload the file
via the Internet.