Filing First Time
for Unemployment Benefits:
for UI Benefits:
for UI Benefits:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Benefit Extensions
- Forms and Publications
- Handbook for Claimants
- Unemployment Laws
- Other Resources
When Will I Receive My First Payment?
- If there are no pending eligibility questions on your claim, we will generally determine your entitlement within 7 days of your filing of the initial claim
- and benefit payments are usually sent within 7 days after a completed weekly claim certification has been received.
Do not expect to receive your benefit payments on the same day or within the same amount of time each week.
No Payment or Explanation within 7 days of filing?
FIND OUT IF A CHECK WAS ISSUED
If you do not receive a payment (or an explanation for not receiving a payment) within 7 days of filing a weekly claim certification, you should first use the Online Inquiry Application OR call the Automated Inquiry System (select Menu Option 1) to find out if a check has been issued.
If a check was NOT issued:
- If a payment was not made for the week in question, and it has been at least 7 days since you filed your claim for that week, call a Claims Specialist for more information.
If a check WAS issued:
Did you change your address?
- If your payment was made for the week in question but you have changed your address, call a Claims Specialist immediately.
You didn't change your address?
- If a payment was made for the week in question and you have NOT changed your address, wait until 12 days have passed since the check was mailed.
No check and you've waited 12 days?
- If you still have not received the payment after 12 days have passed, call a Claims Specialist to file a "Missing Check Inquiry."
Only you can endorse and cash your benefit checks. Never endorse the check until you cash it.
If you lose your UI check or if it is stolen, call a Claims Specialist. It takes at least 60 days after filing an inquiry about a lost or stolen check to receive a replacement check, with some exceptions.
- Changing Your Address while Filing
The weekly claim system will ask if your address has changed since your last claim. If your address has changed, follow system directions to change your address.
- Changing Your Address when NOT Filing
If you are not filing for benefits at the present time but wish to change your address on our records, you must call one of the initial claim application/assistance numbers and press 3 when the system gives you your choices.
UI benefit payments may also be direct deposited into your checking or savings account. You may enroll online OR by completing an Authorization form. You will be paid by check until your new account information is entered.
Enroll for Direct Deposit Online
ONLINE: You may enroll for direct deposit online
Enroll for Direct Deposit via Authorization Form
FORM: If you don't want to enrol online you can enroll by completing the Direct Deposit Authorization form which was sent with your Claim Confirmation.
You must provide a voided personal check or a document from your financial institution which clearly identifies the bank routing number and your checking or savings account number to ensure the account number and financial institution’s routing number you provide are correct.
Submit the Direct Deposit Information only once
Your Direct Deposit Information only needs to be submitted once, unless your bank information changes. You DO NOT need to resubmit a Direct Deposit Authorization each time you file for Unemployment Benefits.