- Frequently Asked Questions
- Benefit Extensions
- Forms and Publications
- Handbook for Claimants
- Unemployment Laws
- Other Resources
Apply by Telephone
How do I apply by telephone?
Apply by calling one of the following telephone numbers (using a touch-tone telephone):
- If you live in the Madison local calling area: 608-232-0678
- If you live in the Milwaukee local calling area: 414-438-7700
- If you live outside of the Madison or Milwaukee local calling area: 1-800-822-5246
- For deaf, hard-of-hearing and speech-impaired callers (Callers must have a telephone typewriter device. Voice calls are not answered on this number.): TTY 1-888-393-8914
A recorded voice will answer your call. The voice will ask you questions and tell you what numbers to press to give your answers.
You must press 1 to apply for benefits. After you have answered all the questions, one of our staff will help you finish.
Times to Apply
Time Applications can be Started:
|Sunday||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Monday-Friday||6:00 AM - 7:00 PM|
|Saturday||9:00 AM - 2:30 PM|
Time Claims Specialists are Available:*
|Monday-Friday||7:30 AM - 6:00 PM|
|*Extended hours due to high call volumes effective 3/8/2014|
Initial Claims - Most require a Claims Specialist
Most claims require that the initial claim application be completed by a Claims Specialist. If your claim needs to be completed by a Claims Specialist and you call during hours when Claims Specialists are not available, the system will record your claim as having been filed and will tell you to call back (using the same telephone number) during regular business hours to complete your application. Your claim will start in the week that you placed your first call.
If you do not have a touch-tone telephone line but you do have a touch-tone telephone with a "tone-to-pulse" switch, set the switch to "pulse" before you call. As soon as your call is answered, change the switch to "tone" to complete your call. If you must use a rotary phone, dial the number and one of our staff will help you.