Are You Planning On Going To Work?

Equal Rights Publication ERD-27-P

PDF versions of this publication. Follow this link to obtain the Free PDF Reader.

If You Are Under 18 Years Of Age You Will Need A Work Permit.

To Obtain A Work Permit You Must Have:

1. Proof of age - Birth Certificate, Baptismal Record, Driver’s License, or State issued Identification Card. Birth records may be tained from the register of deeds in the county of birth. Baptismal records may be secured from the pastor of the church in which the baptism took place.

2. Letter from the employer stating the intent to employ the minor along with the job duties, hours of work and time of day the minor will be working.

3. Letter from the minor’s parent, guardian or court-ordered foster parent while the minor is under their care and supervision consenting to the employment. As an alternative, the parent, guardian or foster parent may countersign the employer’s letter.

4. The minor’s social security card.

5. Statutory permit fee is $10.00. The employer is required to pay the permit fee. If the minor advances the fee, the employer shall reimburse the minor not later than the minor’s first paycheck.

6. Address of school that the minor attends or the name of the school district.

You may apply for a work permit at your school office or call (608) 266-6860 for information on where in your area you may apply for a work permit.

Your work permit will be revoked if you do not attend school on a regular basis, if you are working in a prohibited employment, or if you are employed while you are underage for that employment.

See the Employment of Minors Guide for more information on working before you are 18 years of age.

Email DWD DWD on Twitter DWD on Facebook DWD on YouTube DWD RSS Feed DWD on Flickr

A proud partner of the network